For nearly thirty years, the Sylvania Academic Excellence Foundation has proudly enhanced the work of the Sylvania Schools. We have been the catalyst for enhanced programming, scholarships, equipment, and enrichment programs. We recognize that, as a community, we are the change makers.
We are change makers like Augustus Zimmerman, a school maintenance worker in the Sylvania Schools who, through his bequest, chose to invest in the children of our community. Augustus saw the difference that an education made in hundreds of children. His foresight – and gift – has made all the difference. Inspired by Mr. Zimmerman, the Foundation has distributed more than $90,000 to support the mission of our schools.
Thanks to the generosity of all our donors, the Sylvania Academic Excellence Foundation has:
- Helped more than 2,500 fifth graders “fly to the moon” in the simulator of the Challenger Learning Center.
- Distributed $15,000 in scholarships to give graduates a step up in higher education.
- Honored more than 100 Sylvania alumni through the Distinguished Alumni Hall of Fame.
- Purchased math manipulatives, surveying equipment, reading/science units, interactive reading programs, and other curricular enhancements to the classroom.
- Funded study skills training, “7 Habits for Teens” time management training for junior high students, summer reading programs, Pioneer and Native American Day, in-school music performances, and technology updates for the schools.